The Mediterranean Diet:
The Best Diet in the World
The Mediterranean Diet Has Been Ranked the Best Diet in the World for Three Years Straight and With Good Reason
The Mediterranean Diet is the best diet in the world. What if I told you you could reduce your risk of disease, improve your health, mood, mobility and cognitive function, lose weight and live longer all by eating delicious foods and staying active? Chances are you would think I was trying to sell you on another fly-by-night fad diet or workout trend. But that is not the case.
The Mediterranean Diet has been ranked the best diet in the world by the US News and World Report for the last three years. It has also been named the easiest diet to follow, the best plant-based diet and the most effective diet at treating diabetes. It may sound too good to be true but there is plenty of evidence to back up this diet’s efficacy.
What Is the Mediterranean Diet?
The Mediterranean Diet consists of nutritious foods eaten in countries like Greece, Italy and Spain. In the 1950’s, Dr. Ancel Keys discovered that low income Italians had a lower risk of heart disease and death than wealthy New Yorkers did. Upon further examination, he attributed this fact to their diets.
Those of us on the Mediterranean Diet eat lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and moderate amounts of seafood, poultry and dairy. We do our best to avoid trans fats, refined grains and added sugars, and eat a wide variety of whole plant-based foods, including healthy fats.
There’s an endless array of delicious foods you can eat on the Mediterranean Diet which are both healthy and satisfying. There is no need to count calories. In addition, you do not have to cut out whole food groups, and you won’t go hungry because most of the foods are rich in fiber. Eating this way can be more economical than the typical American fare, as well.
What is the Mediterranean Lifestyle?
Along with eating nutritious foods, the Mediterranean Diet and Lifestyle involves being physically active. Working out daily, together with eating nutritious foods, improves our mental and physical wellbeing.
In addition to eating well and exercising, the Mediterranean Diet and Lifestyle encourages us to maintain a sense of connection. Cooking and eating with family and friends are great ways to relieve stress and boost happiness. Exercising with like-minded individuals can be a great bonding experience which also makes the workouts more fun and effective.
Why Should I Try the Mediterranean Diet and Lifestyle?
- The Mediterranean Diet and Lifestyle can help you achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- People who consistently eat this way have less incidence of chronic disease and a higher life expectancy.
- The whole foods recommended on this diet fight inflammation in your body and brain, keeping you healthy and younger than your years.
- You can save money by following this diet.
- You will feel and look better.
Can the Mediterranean Diet Help Me Live Longer?
- The Mediterranean Diet helps prevent heart disease, cancer, strokes, type 2 diabetes and premature death.
- By reducing your risk of getting cancer and heart disease alone, this way of eating and staying active will reduce your risk of death by 20%.
- Your risk of getting Parkinson’s disease will be cut in half on the Mediterranean Diet.
Will the Mediterranean Diet Help My Heart?
- Blood sugar levels, cholesterol and blood vessel health will all improve on the Mediterranean Diet.
- Beans, olive oil, whole grains, spices and wine are all components of the diet which are good for your heart.
- Foods like nuts and olive oil help lower bad cholesterol.
- Fish helps lower your level of triglycerides and blood pressure.
- Vegetables, beans and fruits are high in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, and keep your arteries clear.
Will the Mediterranean Diet Help Me Feel and Look Younger?
- If you are on the Mediterranean Diet, you avoid the processed foods and bad fats which cause inflammation in your body and brain.
- The Mediterranean Diet keeps you younger by lowering your risk of frailty and improving cognitive function.
- Oldways, a non-profit organization aimed at improving our health, has found that a Mediterranean Diet will keep you agile. “The nutrients gained with a Mediterranean Diet may reduce your risk of developing muscle weakness and other signs of frailty by about 70 percent.”
- And if that wasn’t enough, following the Mediterranean Diet will also reduce your risk of developing dementia and Alzheimer’s.
I’m In! How Do I Get Started?
- To jumpstart your journey into optimal health, fitness and wellness, remove unhealthy temptations from your home (and mind). Check labels for trans fats, refined grains and added sugars. Ditch empty calories and contaminants by choosing fiber-rich whole foods over processed foods.
- Make a list of your favorite vegetables, legumes and fruits and build your menus around them.
- If you are a meat eater, eat one vegetarian meal a week and work up to three or four.
- Cook with oil instead of butter.
- Eat fish or chicken instead of red meat.
- End your meals with fruit or nuts rather than rich, sugar-loaded desserts.
- Choose whole grains including breads, oatmeal, pasta, quinoa, faro or rice instead of heavily processed, white flour alternatives.
- Eat a handful of nuts a day. Mix it up –walnuts, almonds, pistachios, cashews and pine nuts are all great choices.
- Add spices, such as cilantro, rosemary, coriander, pepper, garlic and cinnamon, to your dishes instead of salt.
- Drink lots of water.
- Exercise regularly!
- If you drink, have wine instead of hard alcohol. Up to one glass of wine a day for women, and two for men, is thought to be good for your health. Red wine may be more beneficial than white.
The Diet and Life of Your Dreams
The Mediterranean Diet has been named the best diet in the world for lots of reasons. It is chock full of enticing and satisfying nutritious foods. How about roasted sweet potatoes with pistachio-encrusted salmon and a glass of red wine? Or a fresh salad of heirloom tomatoes with olives, extra virgin olive oil and feta? This diet is delicious, economical and easy to follow. Best of all, no other diet on the planet is as successful at improving our quality of life and longevity.
Golden Home Fitness Can Help
The Mediterranean Diet is a lifestyle as well as a dietary regimen. Enjoying meals with your family and friends enhances them. Working out daily is a big part of this diet’s success.
The trainers at Golden Home Fitness can provide the expertise, motivation, focus and accountability you need to succeed. We can also provide you with the nutritional guidance needed to improve your health, immunity and vitality.
If you would like to receive a free in-person or virtual workout, please click this link: Free Golden Home Fitness Workout.
We hope you will try the Mediterranean Diet and Lifestyle so you can reap all of its amazing rewards!
Endnotes: usnews.com; www.webmd.com; goodhousekeeping.com; gut.bmj.com; healthline.com; helpguide.org; www.oldwayspt.org