If you’re trying to get back in the game we have your fitness formula for success! The first step is always the hardest but it’s well worth taking that leap!
Most people are juggling multiple tasks on a daily basis. You want to get fit but can’t seem to find the time, energy or motivation. So you put it off for a day and then another. Before you know it, your self-esteem takes a hit. Then improving your fitness becomes a perpetual goal when making new year’s resolutions.
The biggest mistake many people make is they give up. They decide it’s no longer an option and proceed accordingly. The second mistake many make is to try to do too much too soon. This can be overwhelming and is most often not sustainable in the long run. In the worst of cases, being over-zealous causes injuries. Injuries lead to excuses and excuses can lead to a lifetime of inactivity. So let’s backtrack and do it the right way. Just where should we start?
The Formula For Fitness Success
- Step One is to assess where you’re at. If you’re at the mall and you need to find Lululemon quickly, your first step is to find out where you’re at. The mall map will then show you the path to where you want to go. The same rules apply in your fitness journey. Be honest about the shape you’re in in order to implement short term goals that will lead to your long-term victories. What does that trajectory look like?
- Step Two is to decide where you want to go. Pinpoint what you want from your fitness regimen. Is it to build muscle, lose weight, better mobility, improved flexibility, overall fitness or mental wellbeing? You will of course reap many benefits at once but pick the one that is the most important to you. This will allow you to better focus on your top goal.
- Step Three is to create a plan. The key is to start small and work up from there. One or two workouts are better than none. Pre-plan a week or a month by scheduling exercise in your calendar. Before you know it you will get into a rhythm. Each workout will make you feel better, motivating you to continue on. Your plan should be easy to moderate to start. You will gradually build up your activity level and intensity from there. Make sure it is realistic. You will need to be patient to achieve a long-term progression. Start with what you know and enjoy. Once you’re on a roll, change up your routine every six to eight weeks.
- Take a well-rounded approach. Incorporating strength, cardio and recovery into your workouts is the best way to go. This is especially true if you are trying to lose weight. Cardiovascular exercise burns lots of calories. Weight training makes you stronger and increases your metabolism. This allows you to burn more calories at rest. Including at least one day of rest or active recovery will ensure you don’t burn out or injure yourself. This will give your body and mind the best fighting chance for your workouts and for life.
- Always include a warm up and a cooldown. This will keep you injury-free, and improve your flexibility, performance and enjoyment.
- Focus on your core. While some people ignore their mid-sections, it’s important to train your abs to avoid injury, protect your spine and improve your athletic performance.
- Take a balanced approach. It’s important to correct any muscle imbalances. You don’t want to work out only certain muscles and sacrifice overall fitness. Include exercises for every major muscle group, as well as rotational moves. Focus on proper form and full range of motion.
- Stick with it! Consistency is key. Many people are all-in for a few days, expecting big results only to give up shortly thereafter. Instead, do what you can most days and progress towards your ultimate goal.
- Celebrate every small achievement along the way. The best training plans connect-the-dots of small goals encapsulating a larger goal. If you celebrate every win along the way, you will be motivated to continue pushing until you reach your ultimate goal.
- Enlist the help of a Golden Home Fitness Personal Trainer. We eat, breath and sleep fitness, and it is our mission to empower you to reach your goals. Let us create a customized plan to get you the results you deserve. We will put you on the right path and make sure you see it through to its completion. Best of all, your first Golden Home Fitness in-person or virtual training session is complementary and can be scheduled here.
Does getting to your desired level of fitness seem daunting? Do you feel like you already have way too much on your plate? It doesn’t have to be that way. Improving your health and fitness is not as difficult as you think. Small incremental changes made consistently over time will improve your trajectory. If you want to change your point of view, you simply need to move!
At Golden Home Fitness we are here to help. Our Personal Trainers can train you in our state-of-the-art studio, in your home or virtually via our app. You can salvage unused windows of time in your schedule and put them to good use. Commuting to your workouts is no longer a necessity!
Prioritizing your health and wellness is the foundation of a happy and healthy life. We wish you the best success in your fitness journey. Why not start today?